My workouts

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The year… of the marathon

This is it. 2007. Time to buckle down and get serious. I am about 120 days out from the Eugene Marathon. Time to implement, operation, get my ass ready.

Stage 1, reduce caffeine and alcohol consumption. I have already cut myself down to 1 cup (albeit a REAL cup is more than the measurement unit of a cup) a day. This was made easier by the fact that on the first day of vacation I got the flu and was not able to hold anything down. By the time I could, I figured I was over any caffeine headaches I could have. The alcohol is a different story… the Christmas break and New Years are definitely drinking occasions, and I certainly did my share. Time to cut back to a very rare occasion.

Stage 2, eat better. I love Pizza and all sorts of assorted snack foods that are less than healthy. I need get my nutrition under control and lay off the junk until after the marathon.

Stage 3, stick to my schedule like glue. Because I took a week off when I was sick, I am now struggling just to get back to where I was. What I decided to do is to back off the marathon training schedule I am using from the marathon date to where I would be right now. You see… I was going to finish the schedule a month plus before the marathon, and then just repeat the last months. Now I am not going to do that. I basically backed up in my schedule 6 weeks. (Long run this weekend 12 miles instead of 20) This will allow me to make sure I work off those extra holiday pounds and am proper shape before I push it too hard. The danger however, is that there is not any room to slip the schedule now. No injuries, no getting sick… nothing. Mentally I am ready for what that means, and Stage 1 and 2 will put me in the best position for me to physically hold up.

2007… the year of the marathon… on your mark… get set… go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan. 120 days and counting....it sounds so exciting. Wishing you a great year and the best of training!