My workouts

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Helvetia Half Marathon race report

The are some days that are just meant for running. It is as if the world is a stage perfectly set for one specific purpose, to run. Overcast... not too warm... dry... it was a beautiful day this morning. The starting line for the race was just down the road from my typical running spot. I pass it every morning driving to work, but then again… I have a 45 minute commute, so I pass a LOT of places on the way.

The packet pickup was inside the Hillsboro stadium, which was very cool. I could see the finish line there too… inside the stadium. NICE! I wish the Eugene marathon would have ended in Autzen. The race was so well organized, I wanted to cry. Everything was perfect. The restroom lines were even manageable!

When I made my way over to the staring line and jogged a bit to warm up, I knew I was in for some pain. Both my skins still hurt from the excessive running the previous weekend. This was going to be… uh… interesting.

The pace I picked out that I wanted to average… was the pace I would need to qualify for Boston, which is 7:39.9 (that is including the extra 59 seconds they would grant me if I needed them) The pace my legs told me then wanted to run during warm-up, was 7:45.

I started out thinking I’d try to run 7:30, because I knew there was a monster hill around miles 5 that would slow me down. Mile 1 was 7:23. I was feeling fine. Mile 2, 7:25, and I am thinking to myself, no way I can average this for the whole race. For the first time I knew, the pace I wanted… not happening. I tried not to slow though, because I knew the hill was coming. Mile 3, 7:48. There were not really any hills yet, I just was having trouble keeping my pace. People are passing me here. I hate those idiots that go out too fast and then fall back early. Oh wait… that is me.

Mile 4: 8:04. The hills still really haven’t started, and I am not feeling good. I am worrying at this point whether the hill will burn me out so much I can’t finish. My stomach isn’t feeling great either, but I press on.

Mile 5 is the hill. I could see the long silent mass of runners struggling forward and upward. We reach the top of a hill and I can’t help but ask someone, “is that the last big hill?” “Yeah… I think so” was the reply. THANK GOD. Then, ‘Oh no… I think we wind around a few more up here.” My spirits sank, but I seemed to be holding my own on the hills. No one was passing me… and I was passing some others. Find pace for mile 5, 8:31.

Now I knew I was home free with regards to hills… but there were still plenty of small rolling ones… after all… it was country roads in the area surrounding Hillsboro… as in… the hills. Mile 6, 7:32. Almost back on pace. I am feeling better. I survived the hill and my legs are still moving! Not only that… but the rest of the rest was mostly down hill!

Miles 7, 8 & 9 are about on pace: 7:34, 7:28 & 7:30. By mile 10, I am out of the hills and back onto the flats, and the wind is blowing in my face. It starts to drizzle and I realize I can’t keep a 7:30 pace, but I try the best I can. Mile 10: 7:37, Mile 11: 7:38, Mile 12: 7:36. I’m staring to smell the finish line at this point… but I am still tired.

Mile 13: 7:42… just trying to hold on. The last point .1 miles (.26 according to my GPS) are at 6:47. (Hey… we ran into a stadium with people cheering, and that can motivate you)

Time according to my GPS: 1:41:42. (EDIT: Official time 1:41:39) Not sure what my official time is yet… but final pace averaged 7:40 according to GPS… but 7:45 according to McMillan’s running calculator. Dang… my legs were right on!!! (Always listen to your legs)

That pace is damn close to Boston qualifying for me. I wanted it pretty bad, but I am just not there yet. I already had the title to this post picked out… Halfway to Boston (you know… being a half marathon at Boston pace) but no… I didn’t quite make it.

I still feel very good about my race though. Post race was just as amazingly organized as pre-race. They provided a free hamburgers, drinks, and of course the typical assortment of post-race trinkets. It really was a wonderful race, and afterward I felt great, positive and energetic. I basked in the post race glow.

I was thinking if I could keep 7:30 pace, I’d break the top 100. Big deal… but there were 2,535 runners registered. For someone who a few years ago finished in the back 1/3rd, then was a middle of the packer for a long time, and now usually finish in the top 1/3rd… to try to break the top 100 out of 2,535 (top 4%) would be amazing. Of course, I didn’t do that… but I bet I finished in the top 150.

Maybe, just maybe… I really CAN qualify for Boston. Though I am running down that path, I have never been sure that it is something I am even capable of doing. Considering I haven’t even started my Portland marathon training cycle (that starts next week), I am cautiously optimistic. There are plenty of hard and grueling miles ahead, but maybe… just maybe…

Mile 1: 7:24 HR 150
Mile 2: 7:25 HR 160
Mile 3: 7:48 HR 160
Mile 4: 8:04 HR 161
Mile 5: 8:31 HR 163
Mile 6: 7:32 HR 161
Mile 7: 7:34 HR 160
Mile 8: 7:28 HR 161
Mile 9: 7:30 HR 161
Mile 10: 7:37 HR 162
Mile 11: 7:38 HR 163
Mile 12: 7:36 HR 162
Mile 13: 7:42 HR 164
Last .1 6:47 HR 166

EDIT:
Overall place 189 of 2338
Gender place 150 of 777
Division place 24 of 123

4 comments:

Phil said...

You did a great job keeping your pacing very even. I was particularly impressed with the HR. After you got warmed up on mile one, your HR stuck at 161 up until the last mile.

Looking at your race times, you've come a long way in the past year. I'd say you've got a BQ marathon in you. The trick will be to find someone on the course that will help you with your pacing over the first 20 miles, especially from 13 through 20, where things can get lonely and the doubts start to enter your mind.

Great report. Any pictures?

Sub said...

Wow! Great job. You can expect to take a huge chuck off your next marathon with a bit of focussed training. Boston is surely doable in the near future!

Jason The Running Man said...

Great job and CONGRATS on a great race. Good report!

runliarun said...

But of course you CAN qualify for Boston. You have all it takes - the desire, the ambition, the perseverence, the legs. One can sense it just by reading. You might not be there yet, but you will get there. Do not doubt yourself.