My workouts

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Trying to get back to 'for the run of it'

Exactly one month from today… I will be running the Portland Marathon. (Well… not anymore but when I started writing this) I have been training now for over 3 months, and it is almost time to see what I can do. Now, I have already come to the realization that my ultimate marathon goal, qualifying and then running the Boston marathon, will not happen in Portland. I am a realist, and I *really* know that I can’t run 7:39 miles 26.2 times. On a perfect day… maybe 8.00. A great goal would be 8:15 minutes per mile.

Did I fail with FIRST? NO! In fact… I think I will PR by over 10 minutes. I am now much faster at shorter distances, and I was able to add the speed training without hurting myself. I think that if I would have tried to add the speed work with increased miles, that I would have injured myself. So for me… I think FIRST was an awesome training plan for my second marathon. Will I use it for my next? No… but only because I have my speed now where I can cruise at under 7 minute miles without a problem. (For a few miles) A few months ago, I think 6:59 was my fastest mile. I think I am quite a bit faster than that now. In fact… I finished a 5 mile race awhile back in 34:35 (though I think the course was short) which is 6:55 per mile. And… I can tell you I was completely spent after that one mile at 6:59.
So despite me not nearing Boston qualifying time yet… I have added much needed speed. It is the distance thing that will give me the problem. =) And whoopsie… that is what a marathon is about. I am a bit down on myself because I have been trying to run my long runs at a full minute faster per mile than the only time I have proven I can run a marathon at. Some runs I could… most I failed near the end. Some I failed near the beginning. =) I just don’t have the endurance to run that fast of pace of 26 miles yet.
This morning I was supposed to run intervals… but my GPS battery was dead so I bagged it and ran them tonight. It was much hotter for sure… but not too bad. It is that time of year where you can catch some wonderful cool breezes in the evening. I was supposed to run 10x400 at 6:33 per mile. My pace times were
6:10
6:17
6:37
6:12
6:10
6:36
6:18
6:16
6:32
5:54

Much better that I had to run… but alas, intervals and low miles will not get me to Boston. (As Sub pointed out long ago) They are however, part of the equation (I think). I want to keep interval Tuesday and tempo Thursday, but I want to get my mileage up too. I am eying the Pfitz 55 mile 24 week plan… to get me ready for the Eugene marathon in Spring.

Now… this Boston thing… I don’t necessarily recommend it. Running fast has taken a lot of the fun out of running for me… and I definitely want to get back to running for the fun of it. Or fun for the run of it?

Jennifa put it so well with her post on returning to running “I feel it though. That momentum. The drive and desire that I had 9 months ago. It is there buried deep inside and is slowly igniting. I didn't realize how much I need running. It is like food, or drink or air to me. I need it.”

In the right zone… a good run is painless and virtually effortless… perpetual motion… like floating down a river and a hot summer day without a care in the world but you actually feel like you are accomplishing something. There may be some joints or muscles complaining, but in the same breath they are thanking you. You can flip the radio stations in your mind and think about anything. Most of the time I think about very little when I am running. In fact the time goes by very fast. Sometimes I daydream… imagine myself crossing the finish line at Boston… or winning a race (THAT will never happen), but most of the time it is silent bliss. I want to get back to THAT zone in my running. Pronto.

1 comment:

Sub said...

Looks like you are good to go for Portland. You may or may not get your BQ but you might end up closer than you think! Enjoy tapering :)