My workouts

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Streak is Broken

After over 5 straight weeks without missing a run… I missed 3 in one week. (Including the long run) OUCH! I actually was prepared for the long run… I dressed and drove to my running spot… but a quick calculation of the time and I realized there was no way I could finish my 2.5 hour run in time to meet a friend for the Blazer game. I gave up and headed home. The other two runs? I have no excuse for them. =) Just lost my mental grove I think.

This week I am back on track through. Good thing too… 46 miles on the schedule. Hopefully the weather will be a little more cooperative. Last winter the weather seemed pretty darn conducive to running… but no so this year. There have been a lot of nasty days. It was raining again last night so I hit the gym for my 9 miler.

My boss at work commented that if I don’t qualify for Boston… all my running would be a waste. I don’t think of it that way… but it did get me to pondering… specifically just why am I running? I don’t really have a textbook answer at this point. While qualifying for Boston is not out of the realm of possibilities for me… it would be extremely difficult at this point. I am not running fast at all now. This is in part because they weather has been so nasty… I feel I am just trying to hang on, and I suppose the other part must be lack of effort. All I can say in that regards is that it was certainly easier to run faster when I was running less miles.

On my long run Sunday I planned on 2 loops… one 8 miles and one 7. My GPS watch battery was dead when I headed out… but I already mapped my route (or so I though). The problem was… the route I mapped had a road that didn’t actually connect to another road. I was faced with heading back… or continuing on roaming the countryside until I could find a road that did connect. Well… my 8 mile loop turned into a 13 mile loop by the time I got back to the car. That is just too long for me to run without fuel or water. I bagged it at 13 miles. It was kind of fun exploring a new route where I didn’t really know where I was going.

I am really looking forward to some nicer weather and not running in the dark though.

1 comment:

Sub said...

Hmmm... I don't think not qualifying for Boston would mean your running is a waste. Running could mean a better life when you get into your 60-70s and are in better health than most.