My workouts

Monday, March 15, 2010

Another near miss

I have lost track of how many times I have almost been hit while running. Most of the time it is at an intersection where cars are turning. A few of the intersections I have to cross of turning lights that for some bizarre reason turn green at the same time the cross light comes on. Cars see the green light and they will go regardless of whether there happens to be a human body in the way… even if they are legally crossing during the cross light. Now… I do blame them… but ever more so… who the heck programmed the cross light and the turn light to come on at the SAME time? What were they thinking? Seriously… the only way they could put pedestrians in more danger is to have them cross when the perpendicular traffic had a green light. In all seriousness… I could cross more safely just ignoring the light and crossing when it was safe!

And then there was Saturday. My house is on a dead end cul-de-sac next to a school… and many of my runs start out across the school yard to a street in front of the school. On Saturday the school was having a book faire, and when coming back from my run I cut through the parking lot. As I am running through the lot... in a bright yellow light running jacket… a truck pulls by me along side of me and proceeds to take a left turn right at me. I dodge around them… but for the life of me I don’t understand how someone can be that dumb. I reasoned it was some passive aggressive thing and they were only trying to make me think they were going to hit me… because I can’t fathom how they wouldn’t have seen me… unless they are giving blind people licenses these days. I was going to turn around and have a conversation with the driver… but I was taking the kids to the book faire later... =)

Time to go run... it is 65 degrees out!

No comments: