My workouts

Friday, June 07, 2013

Biking?

What is this biking stuff doing on a running blog? Well, after numerous nagging injuries this spring, I decided that biking might be a nice way to maintain my fitness even if I needed a little rest from running. I have never had a road bike, though I have a mountain bike that has been idle for most of a decade.

I really like to get on the open country roads, and that is part of what I like about running, though obviously the ground I can cover these days is limited. A few times a month I take my urban race car (VW GTI) out flying through the back country roads… rarely exceeding the speed limit, though I have taken 15 MPH turns at 55 MPH. (My GTI laughs at turn speed limits) =)

So I started to ponder how to see more of those beautiful open roads, all while maintaining fitness, when the idea of a road bike popped into my head. Now, I know nothing about road cycling, except they wear colorful outfits and a most dedicated shave their legs (out of tradition I guess).

When I started researching road bikes I was immediately overwhelmed. First of all, the price is pretty crazy, and of course the number of bikes and components to choose from is downright intimidating to a newbie. After resisting the urging from my brother-in-law to but a more expensive all carbon fiber bike, I settled on a Giant Defy 1. It was the best new entry level road bike that wasn’t too outrageous in price, but seemed to get as good as reviews as the more expensive bikes. Sure it doesn’t have the bling factor for a bike geek, but I am not a bike geek (just a geek).  

So I get my bike, and my shoes, and my pretty biking cloths and my padded biking shorts that make me feel like I have poo in them from the padding, and set off for my first 10+ mile ride. Despite repeating in my head over and over to unclip my pedals before I stopped, of course I forgot and fell over sideways. No big injuries, just some blood and scratches on my bike.

And if that wasn’t enough to show what a biking newbie I am, it took me one month to finally figure out I had to unscrew the little cap on a presta value to get air into the tire. Compared to running, biking is complicated! =)

I am working my butt up to longer rides (literally… my butt has to get used to being in the ‘saddle’ as bikers call it). I completed a 26 mile ride and though, yeah, cycling is easier in many ways than running, but it can be a great and enjoyable way to maintain fitness, without as much wear and tear on your body (well… except you bum). Riding up hills is definitely good for fitness, and honestly keeping up 16+ MPH speed for a whole ride is a good workout.

As I ease back into running, I have another secret weapon helping my fitness… cycling.

No comments: