My workouts

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Long runs are like...

Long runs are like hangovers. Soon afterwards when I am feeing the pain I think to myself 'never again!' This continues to the next day. By the 2nd day after to run have to hobble out again and do my recovery run. At that point I am still usually not very happy about the whole running experience. By the 3rd day I have forgotten about the pain enough that I am willing to try it again. Lather rinse repeat.

My computer room is littered with running attire. Hats, jackets, sweat pants, running shirts etc… etc… all hanging to dry out before I can toss them in the laundry. Actually, there are quite a few things hanging around that are probably dry already. I must have at least 10 running hats. I usually reject two or three with the sniff test before I find one that won’t make my eyes water during the run.

My cats know what it means when I reach for my running shoes. They are creatures of habit, and they are quite aware of my routines, and they know when I reach for the running shoes, I am getting ready to head out the door. The are also aware that when I come back in the house, I am in a sorry state of exhaustion. Neo, the most expressive of my cats, looks at me like ‘NOOOO!!! Don’t do it!!!’ when I reach for the shoes. In some ways… cats may be smarter than humans.

No comments: