My workouts

Sunday, December 03, 2006

The storm week 2

I live it a great place to run for a running computer geek. Sounded by Nike and Intel, it is a running computer geeks dream. My typical run route takes my by the Hillsboro airport, where if I am lucky, the Nike hanger is open. It is lit gloriously and on the back wall massive sports banners hang from the ceiling to the floor. Nike has a couple of private jets that call the hanger home, and if the jets are not parked inside, a couple of fancy sports cars may be waiting for their arrival to wisk their high profile cargo off to the just as impressive Nike headquarters.

My runs also take me by the Intel Hawthorn Farms campus. I have to say I am glad Intel is near. Geeks are awesome. When I live on the East site of the Willamette, geeks were a rare breed. Over by Intel, they are everywhere, and I feel right at home.

Today’s run took me by neither landmarks however. I was physically sick during yesterdays simple 4 mile run… but I was shaken enough that I decided to run around the track at the local high school, so I could make a quick exit if I was sick again. It turns out… I managed to finish the 16 miles without stopping. One Powerbar and 2 12oz bottles of sports drink was enough to keep me moving. Barely. My time was atrocious. I didn’t have my GPS watch, or even ANY watch, but based on the time my play list on my IPod should have taken, and when I finished… I think it must have been around 10 minute miles. That doesn’t make a lot of sense, because I think I was running at 9 minute mile pace… so I think I missed counting some laps. I know I covered at LEAST 16 miles though.

That is a LOT of laps around a track. The surface is sure nice on the feet and legs, but it is a bit repetitive. The weather was absolutely perfect. Cold… but perfectly sunny. Wonderful wonderful weather for this time of year. Next week I have an 18 miler. Hopefully somehow to pain of today’s run will be gone by then. =) I am almost done with the 10,12,14,16,18 long run sequence. The long runs are insanely long. Maybe I will download an audio book for next weeks run. That might keep my mind occupied.

I am exhausted right now. Hobbling around the house. I feel like I am 80. I am too tired to feel that good about my run… my longest ever!!! Maybe tomorrow or the next day I will get the wind in my sails to enjoy it.

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rock on with the 16 miler! Sounds like your kicken some butt!