My workouts

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Recovery cont...

Two more weeks and I will be certifiably recovered from the Eugene marathon. =) I am amazed that others can bounce back so quick. I am sticking to the schedule made by someone much wiser than I. This week I hit 35 miles, and yesterday was my first double digit long run (10 miles) since the marathon. To start off my training for the Portland marathon I will be running the Helvetia Half Marathon on June 9th. I won't be as ready speed wise as I'd like to be, but hey... the race is very near to where I live and I can't pass it up. I haven't raced a half marathon yet... though I did a 20.07 K before. So... I guess that guarantees me a PR. Yahoo! I am not sure what I will shoot for yet, but I am ready to leave it all on the course for once. Under 8 minute miles for sure, and it would be amazing to finish it at Boston qualifying time. Not sure that is possible yet, but I think I can come within 10 seconds per mile.

I just got back from a 3 day camping vacation to the East side of Mt. Hood. It was a very nice break, but I found it was hard running at the increased altitude. Well that... and all the beer we were drinking. Then after the 10 miler yesterday I found that I had the pangs of dehydration. Serves me right. I didn't drink any water on the run it was a bit warmer (later afternoon) than when I usually run. Sometimes you just have to get out there and do it though. I think my pace was decent (8:25). Because I bumped my Sunday run to Monday, I now have to run the next 3 days too (6-8-6) I think tonight I will just take it easy and let my legs recover a bit. I haven't started my FIRST training, and am still
debating whether that is the route I want to go. I have added a few near sprint miles to my routine every now and again though.

The other big running news is that I got a Garmin Forerunner 305 for father's day. Yeah... I know it isn't father's day yet... but I guess I am very loved. =) So far I can say this about the 305... the reception is MUCH better than I was getting with my 201. I can get a signal in the house. In the basement. My 201 would drop only spares trees or almost in the open if the cloud cover was weird. I don't think that will be a problem with the 305, and I love the way I can see pace per lap and total on one screen. The heart rate monitor also offers another training tool to my bag, though I will have to do some analysis to see where the heck my heart rate should be. I think it averaged 140 on the run yesterday, and 160 on a mile where I was sprinting. (resting HR for me is about 54). I haven't calculated what my zones should be, but I will soon.

4 comments:

Sub said...

The 305 sounds like a cool toy to have around. I've had the 301 for a couple of years - I just wish it would die so that I could go for the 305 :)

You're doing the smart thing about your recovery. Ramping up too soon just results in injuries - but we never learn :)

runliarun said...

The 35 miles in a week suggest you have fully recovered.

I would get confused with all the computations. But I guess you need some of that to qualify for Boston.

Jason The Running Man said...

I have the 205 and sometimes I wish now I had digged deep for the 305!:) FUN FUN NEW TOY! Great job on the running!

David H. said...

I've been using the 205 for about a month. this follows about 6 months with the 201. What a difference! BUT now that I've gotten a better one, I'm already saving to get the best. I've gotten all mine off ebay, which helps save a little.