My workouts

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Progress

I am beginning my second month of FIRST. My very first interval a month ago was 3 1600 meter sprints. It was hot…and I was not in great shape… and my times were 7:27, 8:14 and 10:10. (I gave up and jogged the last one because I was too tired to sprint) This morning, in slightly rainy by perfect temp weather, I ran 7:13, 7:08, 7:08. I’ll take that improvement. It still isn’t as fast as I am supposed to be running based on my 5K time (should be 6:58) but it is still a vast improvement over where I was a month ago. Now if I could just string another 23.2 miles of those together! LOL. Yikes.

Another thing… look at my heart rate… a month ago on my 3x1600 interval, 155,157,148 (jogged most of last one). Now look at my HR from this morning, 142,148,151. In fact, this mornings HR averaged LOWER than an 11 mile run a few weeks ago. What is up with that? It is possible the heat made quite a bit of difference, but I do know I felt a lot stronger in the 4th laps of my intervals this go around

2 comments:

Marcy said...

That is AWESOME!!! Look at that!! You're a speedy one!

As far as Boston goes . . how is the Portland Marathon? Is it hilly? Flat? I think that is great that you're realistic. If it happens this time, it happens. If not there is always next time :-) When it comes down to it, does it really matter how long it took you to get to Boston, as long as you eventually get there? ;-) I'm sure you will get there!

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Enjoy reading your blog. You're making great progress with your intervals and your lower HR. I admire your goal to BQ. It took me seven tries, some very close, and some not very close at all. I've been reading about FIRST--bought the book, but am not ready to try it quite yet. I co-author a running blog with Amy, where we just have fun talking about running. We'll look forward to continue reading yours and following your progress. Keep up your good running and posting!

http://blog.runnerslounge.com