My workouts

Saturday, July 07, 2007

The unexpected 5K

I have never raced a 5K that I am aware of. Certainly not in this decade. The day before the 4th of July my wife mentioned her work was sponsoring a 5K walk / fun run. We decided that I would run the 5K, and she would walk with the boys. After I finished… I would run back to them and walk the rest with them. The route was on the Hillsboro 4th of July parade route.

I do not feel like I am in great shape right now. Many reasons. I just started a new job this week, so there was some chaos surrounding the transition, a few camping trips (that involved a lot of beer) and I am still adjusting to FIRST. BYW… I gained like 5 pounds in the first months on FIRST. I just don’t think the cross training burns enough calories so I have to adjust my eating habits a bit.

Anyway… so the 5K. I felt I could run one mile in 6:45, one at 7, and one at 7:15. That was my goal at least. FIRST is actually based on your 5K time, and since I haven’t ran any 5K, I just did my best to guess at what it would be. I guessed between 22:11 to 22:50. The reality was, 22:25. First mile was 6:45. Second was 7:15, and the last was 7:30. I think I went out too fast at first… as my watch was reading under 6 for the first ½ mile it seemed. Nuts. No way I could keep that up. The other thing to note is… there is no way I would have been able to hit that pace for even 5 seconds a month ago. That is a definite difference with FIRST.

I am a bit torn with weather FIRST is going to do me right. I thought about switching to a more conventional program, but I think it is too late… I am going to see this cycle through and see where it gets me. I think I will try to pick the cross training up a bit. But still, no matter how hard I push I just can’t burn the same amount of calories that way. I’d have to cross train for 3 hours to burn the same amount of calories as a 1 hour run I think.

I have a nice 17 mile run tomorrow. Yee-haw. It is hot now so I will have to get up pretty early.

4 comments:

Sub said...

Congrats on the 5k.

The first seems interesting... I've never heard of a marathon program based on 5k time. I've never seen anyone follow the FIRST to the T so I'll be interested to see how it works out for you. Specifically, if it builds your endurance for the marathon...

David H. said...

This is the first I've heard of FIRST. I'll be interested to hear more about it and how it works out for you. Congrats on your first 5K!

Jenn said...

hope your 17 miler went well. Congrats on your first 5k.

runliarun said...

I like racing on holidays, I feel more justified afterward to enjoy the day.