My workouts

Thursday, August 21, 2008

A kid, a pumpkin and a dream

In a few days Ryan Hall will represent the US in the marathon in Beijing. Runner’s world had wonderful article on Ryan Hall Runner's World Ryan Hall American’s haven’t exactly led the world in competitive distance running lately. It is as if many of our long distance dreams died along with Prefontaine. Hall could change all of that with a decent showing at the Olympics. Honestly… he may have already changed it… but maybe the average Joe will take notice.

The most fascinating piece of the story to me… which I don’t believe you can see in the online version, is a picture of Ryan with a Halloween pumpkin he carved when he was a teen. The pumpkin had the Olympic rings carved into it… and above them… the date… 2008. Now… when I was a teen the only big dates I could think about were when I turned 16 so I could drive… and 21 so I could drink. (Actually I could drink when I was 19 and in the Army in Texas)

It amazes me that even as a teen he had circled a goal on his calendar that would take him about a decade to achieve. How did he know? Was it wishful thinking? Destiny? Did he answer a call from God as he says? Whatever the reason… seeing that kid in a photo standing next to the symbol of his dreams with a beaming smile, and then to know this Sunday Aug 24th… years and thousands upon thousands of miles later… he will make it… just makes me feel all good inside.

Hall seems the polar opposite of Prefontaine personality wise. Pre was bold and cocky and Hall seems cautious and meek. Perhaps that is why we haven’t heard more of Hall. Now… I doubt winning a medal is in the cards for Hall… but I can assure you that I will be watching Sunday… watching… cheering… and cherishing his amazing accomplishment. Just a kid, a pumpkin and a dream... run strong Ryan.

No comments: