My workouts

Monday, May 04, 2009

Another destination run

A week ago was my second to last really long run before the Newport marathon. Runs over 2 ½ hours take a lot out of me. They take planning… and preparation… and if you do it wrong… they can be a disaster. I have learned that from experience. Really… anything over 1 hour and you need to be careful… and I have bonked completely on a 7 miler before.

For me the ritual involves getting mentally focused on the task at hand. I start this a few days prior when I figure out my course and decide what time I am going to run. I have to stay focused because there will never be a day that I wake up thinking… yeah… I want to spend 3 ½ hours running today. It is a necessary part of the marathon training process though.

My last few long runs I have made ‘destination’ runs… runs where I am running to somewhere to meet my family… preferably where the is food. Besides me being stinky when I get there, it seems to work pretty good. I have done a lot of running around the Hillsboro airport in loops… and the bad thing about that (besides the repetition) is that each loop presents an opportunity to abort the mission, which I have done before. I haven’t aborted a destination run before though.

Last Sat I planned my course to end at McMenamin’s Lighthouse brewpub. http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=23 Something about running to bear seems to motivate me. =) I drove to the halfway point and placed some food and water on the course, then drove back and headed out.

The weather was OK. Bit blustery… some rain… but not a bad day to run. The first 4.5 miles were north on 101… but then I headed off onto the Siletz River Highway… which was much more enjoyable. I ditched my Ipod and just listened to the peace and quiet. Nothing like running along the edge of a wildlife refuge.

The halfway point was a checkin point… but my cell didn’t have any signal so I had to wait until I got closer to 101. When I did… I stopped to make the call and noticed a seal was watching me from about 15 feet away… head just peaking up out of the water trying to figure out why on earth I was there… and me vice versa. I made a sound and he disappeared.

So one more long run and then Newport. Not going for speed… just trying to finish peacefully and in one piece.

No comments: