My workouts

Monday, February 04, 2013

I ran x5


I did... I truly... well.. jogged... but it is a start! The start also is the only time running isn't a pleasure. Joins and muscles and lungs beg and scream for me to stop the nonsense. What is that terrifying thing in front of me... OMG it is getting closer... closer... closer... it is... a HILL. Oh the terror.

Now, I am no spring chicken anymore. I am so old I have to check my drivers license and do some math to remember, which is somewhere around 45 I think. The first thing I notice running as a middle ager, wholly crud... I am probably PAST middle age... the average life expectancy isn't 90 for me is it? Anyway, my body doesn't recover as fast as it used to. Right now running on consecutive days would be asking for an injury.

And so... as if only running 2 miles with pain is enough right now, I checked the Boston Marathon qualifying times, and I see they have gone down. I think my pace now would need to be 7:49 per mile to qualify, and when I was 38 I think it was 7:35... and there were increases at 40 and 45 before. So shit. I couldn't jump over the bar when I was younger and in MUCH better shape, so someone raises the bar. Nineteen minutes better than my best marathon. Impossible aye. Most likely not achievable my someone of my athletic nature, but still I can't stop thinking about it.

So how hard could the running be after I already completely changed my diet (drink juice for at least 2 meals a day and hardly eat dinner), stopped drinking coffee and alcohol (for the most part). Remember, it has been so long since I ran a marathon, I forgot the pain, but remember the joy.

No comments: