My workouts

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Running in the Rain

Being from Oregon, I run in the rain a lot. Sure the Oregon summers are beautiful and we can go months without rain, but rain is common in the Spring, Winter and Fall. Most of the Oregon rain is a light misty type of drizzle that hardly causes a bother. We walk around in the rain all the time without a worry or an umbrella. Now, from my time in Florida and Georgia, I know how hard rain can come down in stretches... drenching, pounding big wet drops that will soak you in seconds.

Yesterday I set out for a slow 6 mile run, and the weather was decent though cloudy. There was a little breeze at my back that I hoped would go away before I turned around and headed back into it. But about the 2.5 mile mark the clouds darkened and the wind picked up even more and a few drops of rain started falling. No problem, Oregon rain.

The 1/2 way point of my run was a bridge in a park. It is a familiar and comforting place where I have turned around many times in my running. About 1/2 mile later as I was running next to the Hillsboro Airport, the gates of heck opened up. I could hear the line of rain pounding the metal roofs of the hangers before it even reached me, a chorus of man and nature. The rain then raced across the taxiway and passed the airport fence and then engulfed me.

"You didn't think it was going to be that easy did you?"

It was no Oregon rain, it was some wayward rain from another place and I was drenched. The sidewalk was covered in so much water I had trouble carving a path without stepping in 1/2 inch of water. The comfortable run turned in to something else. When the rain finally let up a bit I grabbed my shirt and wrenched out a cup or so of water that my dry fit running shirt had soaked up. Regardless... I didn't put on any body glide and I knew I'd have some chaffing issues afterward (and I did).

Just when I thought the worst was over, the rain returned even stronger. As I approached an intersection, I couldn't help but break out in a smile. It was some crazy rain, and I was that crazy runner that over the past few years I would see from the warmth of my car and think, wow... I'd hate to be that guy. But you see... my smile was because I know now that I *want* to be that guy. I don't want to float down the cozy path in life, I want to get out and run in all that nature throws at me... preferably in nice weather, but you have to take it all in to be able to appreciate the more comfortable times.

Bring it on rain, bring it on. (but next time I will remember the body glide)

No comments: