My workouts

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

A real run

So a real run for me... not a jog, still seems like a jog for me when I was running marathons. I haven't been trying to run fast at all at this point, just trying to build a base so I won't hurt myself when I do up the speed a little.

I have been running 4-6 miles every other day for awhile now, and after a 3 day break (couldn't fit a run in on Easter because of company) I decided to try to see how fast I could comfortable run 4 miles... and it turned out to be 8:55 per mile. Now, I don't put much weight in speed, I am not trying to win a race, and someone else's speed vs my speed (whether faster or slower) means very little to me. But I did run a complete marathon quite a bit faster than that once, so I am aware of the opportunity for improvement.

When I was at the Oregon coast over spring break I let the kids ride their bikes on my 5 mile trail runs. They really enjoyed it... especially the 9 year old. I could see in his eyes, in his voice, and his smile. What they said without words was, 'this is pretty cool'. Maybe he will remember that spark some time in the future when he is old enough to run (or bike or mountain bike) and he will also choose to hit the road or trail.

No comments: