My workouts

Thursday, August 09, 2007

A good week

Next week I have a race… at work of all places. The corporate park my company office is in has an annual event called the Sportsfest. They participate in all kinds of sports… softball, volleyball, golf, bowling etc… etc… and surprise surprise… they have 3 running races. I just joined the company… so I missed the 1 and 2 mile races… but next Thursday is a 5 mile race. Nice. I have to run 6 miles on Thursday already… so I guess I will just fit it in a work. =) I have no idea what to expect… I know the course won’t be roped off or anything, and I expect only 25 or so people will run. Who knows… maybe less. In other words… I might have a shot in this one. =) Last year I hear there was a intern that was on the local college track team that won all the races. Lets hope this year the interns are less athletic. Regardless… it will be fun to be able to do something run-related at work.

Tuesday I had 6x400 times 2 intervals. I don’t mind running ¼ mile ever… I mean.. for those short of distance no pain can do me in. I was supposed to run at 6:33 pace. My pace times were:
6:35
6:29
6:31
6:27
6:27
6:33
6:36
6:36
6:46
6:34
6:34
6:17
I felt very happy to have finished without falling apart because I started to get tired near the end of them. This morning I had a 6 mile short tempo run with 3 one mile laps of:
7:34
7:32
7:31

The pace I was supposed to run was 7:33. So overall this week, I am thrilled with all of my runs. My knee felt a little gimpy today after my run, but I think it is OK. Yesterday someone asked me why I was limping on my left leg… I didn’t think I was and shrugged it off. Then the next day my left leg really does hurt. LOL. They jinxed me. (Or saw an injury I didn’t feel?)

This weekend there is an airshow at the airport I normally run around. I am not sure I will be able to run my normal route. Last year a jet crashed into a home during the show. I attended the air show they day before… but was just turning for home after a visit to my sisters when I saw the smoke pour into the sky from the crash:

Air show crash

The first thought we had was… please… not our house… but it was actually more than a mile away from where our house is. Only the pilot was killed in the crash. People said he was a hero for not ejecting, which is a great feel good story… but civilian planes like that (even old military ones) are not supposed to have ejection systems. The pilot also took off into miles of farmland… then turned back to try to get back to the airport and crashed on just about the first house he could have. (Actually damaged 3 houses) Anyway… I am thinking a hero would have choose the field, but I realize things happen very quick in an emergency. Thank God no one on the ground was hurt.

No comments: