My workouts

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

All systems go

Did my 2nd to last run before the marathon Sunday. Just a mile at a pitiful 6:40 and another 400 meter sprint at 5:30 and some jogging. I was up before dawn and out into the cold wet darkness that is Oregon. Friday I will do another 3-4 miles at my projected marathon pace… which is… ??? Well now… that is the question isn’t it? =) I will decide based on how I feel Sunday… the weather... the alignment of the planets… all that good stuff. I actually have a pretty good idea of what kind of run is in me… my training tells me that… but I reserve the right to adjust up and down at my whim. If I decide to go slow I could recover in time for the Seattle marathon at the end of November. If not… well… the worst that could happen is I end up collapsed on the side of the road somewhere unable to finish.

I weighed myself this morning and I am about 5 pounds over my dream marathon weight… the weight at which I thought I’d need to get down to be able to qualify for Boston. I didn’t adjust me eating habits enough. I have a healthy breakfast, but lunch needs some work. Dinner is OK, though I eat too much pizza. (Every Friday at the minimum) There was also a football game last Sunday where I drank more than my share of beer. (Damn that fumble into the endzone rule). I imaging that *after* my marathon I will be at my weight… but that doesn’t count. =)

The weather Sunday is looking iffy, but you can pretty much say that for every day from now to Spring. For the most part even on a rainy day that odds are pretty good you can sneak a marathon in without too much rain. It was raining on my run last Sunday but not bad at all. Now for walkers or racewalkers (Steve) maintaining that body heat in the rain could be a bit more of a trick. For me, I am just hoping for no downpours that will rub skin raw… and that odds are pretty good against that regardless of what the weatherman says.

3 days, 20 hours, and 42 minutes to till go.

1 comment:

David H. said...

Enjoy your marathon! It's pretty exciting to see everybody who I've been reading this summer to finally have the big races come up.