My workouts

Friday, October 19, 2007

Post Portland

Sunday was my first post-Portland Marathon run. Fall is a beautiful time to run… there is no doubt about it. The air is cool and crisp and the changing leaves provide a magical backdrop to any outdoor activity. The route for the 3 mile run was similar to the route I used when I first started running… long before my first Marathon. I mentally flashed back during the run… back to summer of 2006 when I was all out sprinting to try to run three miles in under 8 minutes per mile. At first I failed, but it wasn't from lack of effort. I can remember collapsing under the ceiling fan after those first early runs. I can also remember my first 5 mile run. I wasn't supposed to run 5 miles that day… but I was already over the 4 I was supposed to run so I decided to take an extra jaunt around the neighborhood to make it five. I can remember showing my wife my GPS watch. Five miles!!! Can you believe I ran 5 miles!!!

It is an amazing journey from there to here, but a journey that anyone can take. When you think about running 26.2 miles when you can only run 2, it seems rather overwhelming. But when you think about running 3… not so bad. Then next week… 4… then 5… in a few months you are running a half marathon. I can remember my first half marathon too. Again… it was rather spur of the moment. My training didn't have me running that far yet, but I just did it. The hardest part of the training is just keeping with a schedule… regardless of the weather… how you feel and whether there is a game on you want to watch. =) Consistency. Perseverance through nagging injuries. Determination. Stubbornness.

So now I am nearing the end of my first running week post Portland. I am not sure where I am running to this time, and I am not sure why, but I am running again, and it feels good.

No comments: