My workouts

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Portland Marathon Race Report

In shocking contrast to my first marathon, the last six miles of the Portland Marathon destroyed me. Everything started out just fine. The 3:20, 3:30 and 3:40 pacers were all next to each other at the beginning of the race… and I was motoring along just fine. 7:32, 7:31, 7:58, 7:45, 7:28, 7:51, 7:41 and 7:55 miles to start, and I felt fine. One thing that worried me around the 8 mile mark, is that I was sticking with the 3:30 pacer and still clocking under 8 minute miles according to my watch. (Which means the watch I trained with showed me going 7 seconds per mile faster than I really was all that time)

They say you have a 2% fudge factor in a race. If you run more than 2% faster than what is in you… you will pay for it at the end. Just the watch difference alone was more than 2% for me. Around mile 10 I decided that I needed to drop back to 8:30 miles to finish without a problem. I ran a 20 miler at 8:30 per mile a few weeks prior… so no problemo I thought. Silly me.

There is a hill in the Portland marathon that is pretty nasty… about ½ mile or so and pretty steep… and it peaks about mile 18. I knew it was all easy sailing after the hill. As I started up it… my legs screamed. Not good I though. I kept running… and the hill just kept sucking the life out of my legs. By the time I crested the top of the St. John’s Bridge… instead of knowing I was home free… I knew I was in serious trouble. I was pressing down on the gas pedal, and nothing was happening.

My pace up the hill was 10:25, and I did manage 9:40 for the next mile, but by the time I took my first step into the last six miles, I knew I was done. I wanted to cry, but of course I’m in the middle of a marathon, there are people all around, and well… I’m dehydrated. All thoughts of finishing were a decent time were gone. I just wanted to finish… and the way I was slowing down… I wasn’t sure that was going to happen. I told my wife I’d meet her by 11:30 at Pioneer Courthouse Square, and if I wasn’t there by then something must have happened to me. That was a good HOUR after I hoped I would finished… but suddenly it didn’t seem like a good idea to have said that.

My running slowed to a jog, then a shuffle… then at one point I realized that walkers were going just as fast as I was. The only piece of dignity I had was that I would not walk in a marathon. I must have look pitiful moving just as slow as the walkers though. Mile 26’s pace was… get this… 13:21 per mile! The last few miles took an eternity, and I finally crossed the line at 4:08:26. Ugh. Just ugh.

I had to hobble over to my wife as quickly as possible. When I found her I had to disappear into a porta potty to dry heave for 20 minutes. I was sick… dizzy, and could hardly walk. Then I started to freeze. I didn’t bring sweats because I didn’t want the hassle of picking them up at the finish line… but that was a bad call. I was shaking the entire train ride home on the MAX.

SO now I am left deciphering the train wreck of a race. On one hand I am glad I got to experience the wall. I think it will make me a better runner… and certainly it has context for me now. I really wondered what the heck was wrong with all the people I was passing in Eugene at the end of that marathon. I know now… boy do I know.

4 comments:

Sub said...

I'm sorry that you had such a rough time out there... Looks like you had gotten pretty dehydrated/depleted by the end... Were you using energy gels on a regular schedule during the race and hydrating OK?

The good thing is that you know you are capable of much faster time going by your half marathon results. Here's to a better next marathon! Heal up...

Dale said...

Well done. A finish is a finish is a finish! Just remember how few people will ever come close to this. If you're anything like me, there was a time in your life not so long ago when you would have spat out your drink if someone had predicted you'd finish a marathon, let alone in a good time.

David H. said...

The lessons we learn in races only make us stronger. I hope one day you can look back on this run as just a bad story you can tell, maybe even laugh about it. For now, keep your head up and start thinking about what you'll do next!

runliarun said...

Your "ugh" time is probably better than what I will ever achieve. But that is netiher here nor there. Hope you made peace with this - both failure and gain come in many disguises.