My workouts

Monday, November 26, 2007

One down… 21 to go

Hit the 30 mile mark for the first week since the Portland marathon. Pretty happy since it was a Holiday week too… and those are easy weeks to skip runs. In general the weather was cold but very nice. Cold is OK… cold and windy… much less OK… and cold and rainy… I don’t like at all. It is around freezing each morning right now. Usually an increase in temperature comes with the clouds (which is why we get very little snow).

For cold runs I usually wear a typical long sleeve finishers shirt (non-cotton) and a very light water resistant jacket (the yellow kind a lot of bikers wear). That combo seems to work good. I also wear those cheep white gloves they hand out at running events sometimes. Most of the time I wear a hat… but if it there is some wind moving the cold around I might were a wool hat that I can pull over my ears. So far I have been pretty comfortable running, but Winter really hasn’t started.

Sunday complete my first week (of 22) in training for the Eugene marathon in the Spring (May 5th) If for some reason the baby decides to come early, or it looks like that is a possibility, I won’t be running Eugene. I am already thinking I just drive down there the morning of the marathon as opposed to staying down there. It would give me plenty of time to eat and hydrate… something I wouldn’t do as well if I stayed down there… because I would get up later.

I have found that the 30 mile mark is where I have to be very careful with my nutrition and hydration. I already bonked once last week. Hydration will be my most difficult tasks. I am drinking coffee again, which certainly doesn’t help. It will be interesting to see if I am manage without giving coffee up completely. I have some 55 mile weeks in this training cycle, I might need an IV drip line to keep hydrated.

Runs this week were: 7 (w 10x100), 8,4,11.

1 comment:

Runtime said...

Stephen... I might as well just keep running if the baby is born during the marathon... because my wife would kill me when I got home!