My workouts

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Runners make good employees

If I was the owner of a company, I’d stand at a marathon finish line to hire my employees. What more could you ask for in a workers? You know they’d be healthy, dedicated, in top shape, able to overcome adversity, not prone to excuses and highly motivated. Everything you could ask for in an employee. I really have high regards for the runners I have been lucky enough to meet, and those behind the Blogs I read. Runners are special people… and I don’t mean short bus kind of special.

I finally felt a little spring in my stride last night. My legs have been pretty dead lately… and my pace dismal. I know cold weather is part of it… the temperature is near freezing on most of my runs, but I am not sure what the other part is. I worry that may legs just may not have as many miles as I hope in them. A runner where I used to work told me that he just keeps getting slower and slower and slower. Well… age will do that to you… but at 41 and being a runner for less than two years… my legs should have thousands of miles left in them. I hope. (Said poking my legs)

I suppose it doesn’t help that I take hot baths after my cold nightly runs either. Hot baths are not good for my tired swollen legs… but it is just so damn relaxing. Wish I had a hot tub… now that would be nice. Well… maybe not so much after the hot summer runs.

I recently say the Christmas classic with the witch of the north that hounds Santa. There is a line in the movie that sums up what it takes to run a marathon... 'just put one... foot in front... of the other... and soon you'll be walking cross the floor-or-or!' That is all it takes... just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Dedication... imperceptable progress... day after day. Anyone can run a few feet. Then a few more... then the next thing you know... you are running a marathon.

No comments: