My workouts

Monday, December 03, 2007

Shelter from the storm

About a year ago we had a large storm roll through, that I was brave enough to run in, but afterwards… vowed not to repeat the mistake again.

through the storm

Well… another storm rolled through yesterday, and I was faced with braving the weather again… or hitting the dreadmill for 12 miles. I choose the dreadmill. Unfortunately it was my long run day, which would only increase the agony. I have written before about how time seems to stand still when I run on a treadmill. I am pretty sure my belt is connected to father time’s watch, and the faster I run on a treadmill… the slower time in the world progresses. Those 12 miles took 3 maybe… 4 days to run (it seemed). I swear I can look at the distance… run for a few minutes… then look again and it doesn’t change! ARGH!

At one time I actually started to visualize where I would be on my regular outdoor course in order to distract my mind enough to not go crazy. And it didn’t help that someone with tourettes was working out too… and every time he shouted everyone in the gym jumped. There was also someone that couldn’t quite run on the treadmill right. I don’t really know what their dysfunction was… but they kept losing their balance and jumping on the side of the treadmill.

Anyway… somehow… someway… I survived my 12 miler to log 33 miles for the week. Two weeks down… perfect to my schedule so far. (8,9,4,12)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've been lurking for a while, but I had to respond to your post. I'm training in Portland for a spring marathon, and I too faced a treadmill run this weekend (mine was only eight miles, though). What helps me get through a run on the treadmill is to pick an album on my ipod that I enjoy all the way through (it has to be an album, not a playlist). Then I cover the treadmill read-out with my gym towel and rock out to the music. I invariably get caught up in the album (especially if I haven't listened to it recently), and by the time it is over I'm shocked by how far I've gone. At that point, I either put on another album or plod through the last few miles. My two cents.

David H. said...

12 miles on the treadmill ... it pains me to think about that!