My workouts

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

What am I trying to prove?

My wife asked me what I was trying to prove last weekend. It wasn’t in a mean way… just matter of factly. She also asked about how our last conversation where I discussed that I pondered whether running over an hour at a time had any health benefits and that I may not run marathons anymore… turned into me deciding to run the Seattle marathon next month.

That is a damn good question… and one I don’t have a good answer too. I really don’t know when I made that decision. It kinda made itself. I think I am the kind of person that needs something circled o the calendar to help me keep to a schedule… so I just circled something on the calendar.

As to what am I trying to prove… to everyone else… nothing. Nothing at all. To myself… I think there maybe something there. I know how hard it is to run a marathon. I know about being so tired you don’t have the energy for emotions. I don’t know how anyone… let along myself, can run a marathon… but they do… and I will again.

What does it prove? Nothing and everything.

A pain in the… side

It seems as though after a long run of 15+ miles, I usually have a pain in my right side… perhaps my right kidney, or some other organ that doesn’t like the jostling. I even asked the Dr about it once since I have a history of kidney stones. Since I took months off running this summer… I know this pain does indeed go away when I am not running… and come back when I run 15+ miles.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have non-muscle related pains like this after running 15+ mile long runs? Maybe I just have a stone in there that bangs around during my long run and hurts for a few weeks thereafter. I don’t really know.

Edit: I'm evaluating my supplements now... it could be the multi-vitamin, magnesium or glucosamine.

No comments: