My workouts

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The calm before the storm

Well… actually… there was a bit of storm this morning on my way to work. The wind was howling… the rain was blowing and it was another of those hurricane-like days. A few times my car almost blew off the road. About this time the clouds started to light up with the explosions of transformers... 3 of them in the span of 1 minute. It reminded my of the way the sky would like up when I was in the Army during a live fire exercise (field artillery).

For my running the storm begins Sunday with a 14 mile jaunt, and continues with a 16 mile run the next week, and an 18 miler thereafter. Good lord, that will be close enough that I will almost be able to reach out and touch the last 6 miles.

Can I make it through the next three weeks? Will my body physically stay in one piece? Right now… I don’t know. I will give it my all, and let the chips fall where they may. I will have to be one hydrating fool, and watch my nutrition very carefully.

My shoes were so soaked after my run on Sunday I put them in the garage. Big mistake. Now they smell like one of the dead things I pass on the side of the road. Mental note, never leave wet things in the garage.

I ran on the treadmill again today. The weather was cold and rainy, (big shock). If I put the treadmill on an incline of 1… it almost feels like running. I will never do a long run on the treadmill… mentally that would kill me, or should I say, I am not mentally strong enough for 2+ hours on the human hamster wheel.

I feel like a plane that has just taken off into the fog… flying by instruments… into the hazy misty weather… just hoping I make it out to blue sky in a few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you kick butt on the ;ong runs! Oh the rainy northwest and sloshy, wet, smelly shoes. Happy Thanksgiving.