My workouts

Friday, November 03, 2006

Avoiding the big kahuna

This morning on NPR I heard Frank Shorter talk about ‘avoiding the big kahuna’. The ‘big kahuna’ he was talking about was that injury that takes you out of action for an extended period of time. A big kahuna would be devastating to my marathon hopes right now. Heck… a little kahuna might do me in. =) This weekend’s 10 mile run will be a check point for me as I try to figure out whether my knee is a kahuna at all.

Here comes the rain… … and I say… it’s alright…

As Yukon Cornelius would say in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, yesterday was not ‘… a fit night out for man nor beast’. Forty four degrees and pouring rain. Once again… not the misty Oregon variety, but the drenching downpour that we don’t really get here too often. I figured this was time for the full body running gear, so I jumped into my Nike running suit, threw on a baseball cap and headed out. On cold days I was planning on not wearing a baseball cap, but something that covered a bit of my ears, but the rain was going to soak just about anything instantly so I just wore a baseball cap. My ears would live.

Really, the hardest part of running on a miserable day, is just getting out the door. I tried to warm up a bit in the house before I headed out, and stretched quite a bit. I can’t really control whether my knee falls apart or not, but I want to give it the best chance I can to stay together. Once I got out there and moving, it wasn’t TOO bad. Yeah, it wasn’t too great either, especially the spray from a large truck driving by, but I did it… although a very slow 8:50 pace.

Saturday is my LAST run for my mileage build-up schedule.

No comments: