My workouts

Sunday, November 05, 2006

It is official

I am officially training for a marathon. Not that I wasn’t before, but I was only on my mileage buildup schedule. Buildup About 4 months ago I started training… and now I am moving to the next level. (Hopefully all my body parts will join me)
Marathon Schedule

I planned on running 428 miles, but only ran 407. I got sick there once and missed one run because of my knee. Three 10Ks and a 15K.

The races were
#1) Livestrong challenge
Time 55:14
Pace 8:54

#2) Wildwood Trail Run
Time 49:28
Pace 7:59

#3) Mt Angel 10K
Time 47:45
Pace 7:42

#4) Blue Lake 15K
Time 1:13:43
Pace 7:56

I have made a conscious choice to slow down for a bit. My knee is still not 100% but I have told it that it will just have to figure out how to keep up. I have come too far to let something stop me. My knee actually felt much better today on my 10 miler than it has lately. Let’s hope it still feels good tomorrow. =)

I got my first blister from running today. The wet shoes just did me in. I even put body glide on my foot before the run. (And other parts) The chaffing never got me all summer because I wore synthetic clothing, but when it is raining… I might have to come up with some different approaches.

I haven’t seen any runners out lately. Just me. The Portland Marathon was the crown jewel for around here I guess… and I think most people are taking a break. The weather probably has something to do with that too. Today was in the 50s and raining, which is much better than the 40s last week. If all winter was like today I’d be happy.

During part of my run I couldn’t even see the sidewalk because it was covered in fall leaves. I ran carefully to make sure I didn’t take a dive. Up and down some slight hills is especially tricky.

All and all I am just happy and grateful that I can run and keep running. I wasn’t sure there for a bit whether my knee was going to hold up. Again though… the body should follow the mind, and my mind is made up.


"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."
- Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news about your knee. Congrats on starting your official training plan!