My workouts

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Uh oh

It has been at least 3 weeks my left knee has been bothering me. I hate to think talk or write about it. I hate injuries because I am a bit of a control freak, and I don't have a lot of control over injuries. I have tried pretending it wasn't an issue. Tried resting a bit. (This is my EASY week) I tried new shoes, Ibuprofen, double doses of glucosomine, but the sad simple fact is that something is wrong with my knee. I am not a Dr., but I did tear my meniscus in my right knee before (one of me few serious injuries ever) and this feels much like the months leading up to that injury.

Back then, my knee bothered me for months. I was in the Army so I pretty much had to keep running… and my unit ran a LOT. (3-5 most days and longer on Fridays) I knew something was wrong with my knee, but they deal with a lot of people faking injuries to get out of all the running so the few times I tried to see someone about it I never got passed the PA and was just told to take some Ibuprofen. One day we decided to head off and run through the woods and running up or down a hill I felt a bit of a catch. I kept going of course… that is just me, but when I stopped, my knee didn’t want to move anymore. I had it scoped and now it is as good as new.

I fear my left knee is on the same path now, and I am having a hard time accepting that. It doesn’t really bother me much when I am running… but it sure does afterwards. 450 miles and now this… [insert expletive of choice here]

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I know you may not want to...but you really should go get it checked out. If there is nothing too serious then you'll be relieved.

I was in the army (91C) and saw all the people coming in for profiles so they could get out of the running. I swear to this day that I HATED running in formation. It was so bad on your knees...all the slowing down and speeding up. When were you in?

I don't mean to lecture but I really think you should have it looked at (even though it's a pain in the butt and they'll probably X-ray and do an MRI then send you to orthopedics) Hope that it heals up and is just a temporary thing.

Runtime said...

31K here from 86 to 92. Who-ah. It took me awhile to stop double timing on my runs. =)