My workouts

Sunday, October 15, 2006

I’m number 5!


I was quite surprised to find a 5th place ribbon in the mail from the Oregon Road Runners Club for 5th place in my age bracket for the Wildwood Trail Run. For one, the race was quite awhile ago and I had forgotten all about it, and for another… I just didn’t think the speed at which I run was worth a 10 cent ribbon. =) Not since the participation ribbons I used to get in grade school have I been so honored. I had to check to see if there were only 5 people in my age bracket, and alas… there were actually 15. I’m thinking at least, AT LEAST five of them must have been dragged to the run by their wives even though they were not in shape for it. But still… I beat 50% of them? Good lord it is a sign of the end of times.

Today was a typically Oregon rainy day. The only not very typical is that I trudged out at 7:30 to run 10 miles. The first 5 miles were OK… as only the misty rain typical to the NW was falling, but over the last five drenching rain was falling. I was soaked, tired, cold and carrying an extra 10 pounds in water. Not to mention the wet feet, which is something I haven’t had to deal with yet. And still… I managed 8:09 miles.

Next Saturday I have a 15K (~9 mile) run in Troutdale around Blue Lake. (Like that narrows it down… could there be a more common lake name in all the world?) Anyway… I was trying to figure out what pace I should run. I am still not exactly sure… but I am thinking 7:50 might be about right. I haven’t been in a 9 mile race before… so I am not exactly sure what to expect.

Here is a little secret I have been holding. I want to ruin the Boston Marathon some day. Crazy I know. VERY CRAZY. Especially since a) I have never ran a Marathon and b) I am not a particularly fast runner and c) I don’t really have youth on my side. Mentioning this is about as stupid as hoping I can run under 4 hours in my first marathon. My first marathon goal is #1 finish, #2 finished in under 4:20 and my stretch goal is under 4. Boston would required me to run at about 7:35 miles. Right. It does seem crazy right now… it really does… but I have until next October 1st or thereabouts (Portland Marathon) to get ready.

OK, in case the ‘ruin’ part slipped your attention… by ruin I am referring to Gabriel Sherman’s article about slow runners ruining Marathons. I figure… hey… qualify for Boston, and then take 10 hours to run it! Just kidding… I am sure they close the course… but here is the deal… I am that slow poke runner Gabriel is referring to. Guilty as charged. And I will be perfectly happy to be my slow poke self and run marathons and keep my body in one piece. But that article pissed me off, and I really believe that if I put every once of effort into it… I can qualify for Boston. I may be the ‘slowpoke’ of Boston, but damn it, Marathons are NOT just for fast runners. I may just run in a T-Shirt that says Gabriel Sherman is an idiot too.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I think that T-shirt idea is totally great. I think it would be hilarious if thousands of people wore them to different races.

I really would like to run Boston one day as well....and at this very moment I am a "slowpoke" too. But who says there isn't room for improvement? I am just trying to get through my first marathon without injury and I want it to be fun.