My workouts

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Blue Lake 15K

My very first 15K race. I didn’t prepare particularly well this week, even drank a few beers LAST NIGHT, but I was determined to do the best I could. I was an absolutely wonderful day today… sunny… but a bit cool which is fine for running. Blue Lake is near Troutdale, Oregon, and unfortunately, at the West end of the Columbia River Gorge. What that means is… there is always a strong wind blowing down the gorge, and the first half of the run was right into it. It ate some people up. (Including me) It must have been at least 25 MPH steady, and more with gusts.

I wanted to run at a 7:45 pace. I think my body was ready for that. I did 10 miles at 8:14 or so last week. But that darn wind! Someone got the bright idea to draft on me, but alas, there was no one in front of me to draft on. About ½ through the race I figured I had no change to make 7:45. I saw one lap at 8:14 and I knew others were around 8. In order to catch up I’d figured I’d have to run 7:30s for the second half.

When we finally hit the turn around and headed with the wind, I was looking forward to taking off big time, but someone was chatting with me about running… marathons and the like. (Someone who has actually finished a marathon before) =) I was polite and talked even though I knew it was hurting my pace. When we hit another ¼ mile section into the wind I said heck with this and drafted on him. We had a little train of about 5 people and I was at the end being towed along. When we turned with the wind again, I just took OFF. Ka-Pow! If I wasn’t going to hit 7:45, at least it wouldn’t be for lack of effort. Running with the wind was wonderful. I was flying through miles 7 and 8.

When I looked down at my watch around 8 miles, I saw that it was theoretically possible for me to get back to a total 7:45 pace, but I would have to put on the afterburners like never before (for me). I did… and the result… a 7:02 pace for the 9th mile. When my watch hit 9.3 miles I was at exactly 7:45. For some strange reason the finish line was still a few hundred yards away, but darn it… I will take it.

All in all I am happy. I met my goal despite some horrendous wind and I hung in there when it didn’t look like it was going so well. Once again I realize how seemingly impossible it will be to qualify for Boston. Stranger things have happened though… and just like my race today… how knows… maybe… just maybe… I can make it. Portland Marathon 2007 will be my attempt.

Blue lake pace

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Congrats!