My workouts

Monday, October 30, 2006

Running can be expensive

In general, running is a sport that can be enjoyed without a lot of equipment. Just slap on a pair of running shoes, and off you go. I think that is one of the great things about running. I remember playing tennis against the preppies with $200 racquets in high school, and my K-Mart special racquet put me at a distinct advantage. While it certainly is inexpensive to start running, like all sports, the costs can run (pardon the pun) up. I started out slow, ran with the shoes I already had, but after 6 months I spent:

Running shoes: $265
Clothing: $200
Entry fees: $80
Gatorade: $75
GPS watch: $95

Granted this includes yesterday’s purchase of two identical pairs of running shoes. I read somewhere to buy two… break them both in… then put one away for the marathon. I seriously hope I didn’t just buy two pairs of crappy shoes. =) I should have done some more research, but I have always figured my first marathon would be a learning experience, and I don’t expect to do everything right the first time. After the Eugene marathon is where I have to get really serious. I still think I might need a few caps to keep my head warm… and perhaps some gloves for the really nasty cold days. I was scraping ice off my car this morning… those days are almost here.

I skipped a 7 mile run scheduled last Thursday because of pain in my knee. This week is a recovery week, and I thought the time off would be more beneficial than being a slave to the schedule. The knee has been bugging me for awhile now, and I fear I could be nearing a repetitive motion injury. Two runs thereafter were better… but still painful.

I also thought my shoes might be getting a little worn down. I put 425 miles on the last pair, and while they still look like they are in good shape, I have read that between 400 and 500 is the most you can expect from them. By the way… that 425 miles means I am nearing the ½ way in my marathon training miles. In fact, there is also another big milestone coming up at the end of this week. On Sunday I will transition off the mileage build up schedule, and procede to… ta… da… MARATHON TRAINING SCHEDULE. I feel like I am graduating, except I don’t have to walk across a stage dressed like batman with a square cap.

The number of miles I run in a week will not significantly increase, but the length of the long runs do. Miles average about 37 per week with long runs of 10,12,6,14,16,18,6,20,14,7,21,14,8,22 and then taper. At minimum I will have 3 20+ mile runs in before my first marathon. (Maybe 4 because the will be repeating the last month once) How I survive doing all that through the cold and windy winter… well that is the million dollar question now isn’t it? Just as most runners are finishing their fall marathons, I am started to gear up for my Spring one. Lord help me.

Happy Halloween!
The family Pumpkins!
The Stark family Pumpkins

No comments: