My workouts

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Running in the rain

Just getting ready to head out for a run. There is no avoiding running in the rain in Oregon if you want to run year around. When I headed home from work today there were dark clouds threatening everywhere… but every now and then I would drive through patches where the sun snuck through and it was a beautiful fall day. Clouds are beautiful in their own right… a few whispers of clouds on a perfectly sunny day makes it even more special. The reverse can be true to… a patch of blue on an otherwise cloudy day can be pretty awesome. As I got closer to home, the blue patches and dark cloudy doom alternated. When I walked in the door rain was pelting the windows. Now, the sun is back. Before I return from my 6 mile run, I am sure the whether will continue its schizophrenia and the rain will return.

stormy by Belmore Heights

I resemble the weather. Saturday I was running strong. Two days later I am an old man. I have heard the expression ‘leave it all on the course’ but I think I took that step a bit too far and literally left my left knee, right shin and both ankles out there somehow. I am sure by the end of the week I will recover, riding the endless rollercoaster of peaks and valleys that is training. To more experienced runners, I am sure the ride is all too familiar.

Right now the Boston dream feels like the tip of a mountain too far for me to climb. I should just stay focused on my first step… the Eugene Marathon in April. When or if I crest that hill… maybe Boston won’t look as far away.

EDIT: The sun stayed out and it was a wonderful run... I cruised in at 8:10 miles, much faster than I planned.

No comments: