My workouts

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Driving on

One of the things I like about running, is that it is 100% individual effort driven. Now... I imagine at higher levels there may be some drafting or people acting as rabbits etc... to make it a bit more of a team sport, but on my level, it's all me. No one can put in trainingmiles for me... and there isn't any newfangled equipment that is going to help anyone run faster. The actual marathon is just the tip of the huge iceberg of training that occurred before hand. When I cross the starting line, all the miles I stashed away in my training bank become a breeze at my back. Adrenalin will only get me so far... I need that training too. I knew months ago that running through the winter would be hard... and it sure was. Heck... I am not out of the woods yet, but I am acclimated to it now. It was 60 on Sunday and I was burning up! I can only hope for weather as nice on April 29th.

This is my last week in ‘the storm’. My long run is done and I was working on my speed a little bit now, because my endurance is about where it needs to be. I really want to break 4 hours on my first marathon though… and that will take some speed as well as endurance. It really felt good to do some sprinting yesterday. I alternated the last ½ mile with 100 meter sprints, then very slow jogs. My legs felt awesome! Not today of course… but yesterday they felt ok! LOL.

No comments: