My workouts

Monday, February 26, 2007

Houston, we have a problem

In the days following my 20 mile run, I knew something was amiss. My left knee, which has been a bit of an issue since the olden days, was quite frankly, a mess. I could barely walk and I seriously doubted my ability to continue my training. I tried. I tried. Tuesday and Wednesday I struggled though my scheduled runs. Thursday I came to the horrible realization. I can’t run anymore. It was through sheer stupidity and stubbornness that I made my Tuesday and Wednesday runs. I thought the pain would go away, but since my right leg was 100% fine, I started to worry this just wasn’t post long run pain.

I skipped running on Thursday, which made me very depressed. No run was scheduled on Friday, and I skipped Saturday too. I had a 14 miler scheduled for Sunday… and I figured if I could managed to squeak it out… I would be just fine. I couldn’t though. Seven miles… one lap… and I called it quits and limped back to the car.

One week after my marathon training high… I hit a new low. Today is Monday… another rest day, and I still do not know whether I will be able to run tomorrow. There is no room in my schedule to take a few weeks off and still be ready for the marathon. My marathon hopes are tumbling like a card house, and it absolutely kills me to think of it. I moped around all weekend… depressed.

If my knee was going to fall apart… why couldn’t to it at mile 10 instead of mile 900! I briefly thought of seeing a Dr. re: my knee… but I think that would be an admission that my marathon goal failed. I am not ready for that yet. Today… my knee may have actually felt slightly better. Perhaps it is just the ibuprofen building up, but maybe… just maybe… (and oh I have prayed) my knee is going to hang tough.

Tomorrow I will start to find out.

No comments: