My workouts

Monday, March 16, 2009

Shamrock Run Race Results

"I am sure it is a great mistake always to know enough to go in when it rains. One may keep snug and dry by such knowledge, but one misses a world of loveliness." ~Adeline Knapp

This race was all about the weather. I looked at the temp before heading out... 42... not bad at all... should warm up a bit by the race... so I did not my extra cold running gear. I should have looked outside. As soon as I left the garage I was greeted by pelting rain. On 217 driving downtown to the race my Jeep was having trouble staying in its lane because of the blowing wind. This was the kind of eather I vowed not to train in... but race? If they are going to do it... so am I.

I have never checked my clothing at a race before... usually I just leave the layers in the car... but it was very windy and cold... and oh yeah... rainy. I was pretty much soaked an hour before the race. I kept my sweats on as long as I could... then checked them. Looking around I could tell I was one of the less dressed runners... and I paid for it before the race started.

Once the race did start though... all was fine. I didn't checked the course map... but I thought it would be a lot like the Portland marathon... little bit up hill for 3-4 miles then little downhill home. Stupid me.


I wanted to have a shot at better than 8 minutes per mile... but after miles of 8:05, 8:49, 8:42, 8:44 and 8:49... I knew that wasn't happening. This was a BIG race... 20,000 people between all the races I believe... though a little less than 3,000 for the 15K... but even with all those people... there was almost no chatter from the runners. I think the weather just shocked everyone and we were quietly just trying to hold on in our own ways. I literally saw someone get blown 2-3 feet sideways by one gust. It really didn't even help trying to run behind someone... because the air was so unstable it was just coming from everywhere it seemed.

And in the middle of all of it... I see... no... it can't be... someone running... BAREFOOT. Good lord. The streets were still lined in gravel from the winter... I can't imagine how someone would run like that. I still cringe thinking about it.

Around mile 6 we finally started downhill and I started to speed up for 8:05 mile 6 and 7:58 mile 7. Somewhere in between those two miles I felt a pain in the back of my leg. Very unusual spot... like maybe a hamstring? I slowed and briefly considered stopping... but seriously... with the weather what it was I'd die of exposure before getting back.

After mile 8 at 8:04... which was down hill so I was coasting... I sped up a bit for the last mile... 7:38 and then 7:36 for the last .3 to finish at 1:19:17... in 982nd place of 2742.... at ~8:30 pace. Considering the hills and weather... I am fine with that. Afterwards... after getting warm and dry and looking back at the storm I ran through... the unexpected hills... I felt good that I showed up and did my best. The weather will just make it that more memorable.

And of the barefoot runner? Well... he finished in front of me... the last half mile I saw the blood on the white stripe of the road... you could tell he was trying to run on it because it was smoother than the pavement.

Now it is time to begin training for Newport. Thirty miles on schedule for this week.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yowza! Barefoot after the winter we've had?! No way! Hope that guy isn't hobbled.

I'm running Newport this year too - are you going to the pasta dinner?

Runtime said...

Not sure... way to much planning for me. =) Newport should be wonderful that time of year. I'm thinking Rogue brewery for the post-race meal. =)