My workouts

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Back in a grove

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
- Jesse Owens

Thirty four miles last week... should be 38 this week... I guess I am officially marathon training again. A friend visiting over the weekend reminded me that I said I wasn't going to do marathons anymore because of the time factor. So I lied. If I want to get up at 5:30 AM so I can finish work early enough in the afternoon to run... that is on me. Thankfully it works with my family schedule too.

The fact is... I will have an itch in me until I can qualify for Boston. If I can't ever qualify... well I am pretty stubborn... so it could be awhile before I give up.

While reading April fools jokes... I stumbled across the interesting story of a marathoner who disappeared during the 1912 Olympics. Japanese runner Kanikuri vanished in the middle of the race... and was never heard from. Fifty years later... he did surface alive and well and told the story of how he stopped for a drink... then felt embarrassed because of his lack of discipline... and decided to bail on the race. I don't know if the story is true... but it sure sounds better than if he bailed on the race because he couldn't hack it. ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/history/story/2008/05/05/f-olympics-history-1912.html

No comments: