My workouts

Friday, September 15, 2006

Last 10K before marathon?

Tomorrow I am running another 10K… probably my last in a while. I think there is a 15K I will run in a few weeks… but there are not many running events in Oregon in the winter. Too rainy I guess.

Speaking of rain, yesterday was the first day of the year I ran in the rain. In fact, there were some thunder to add a nice backdrop. It really wasn’t that miserable, but granted the temp is still in the 50’s, and the rain really wasn’t that bad. I can say I am still concerned about how I will make it through the winter and stay on track. It will take a lot of dedications. As the Gatorade commercials would say… ‘is it in me?’.

I also wonder what attire will work right for running in the winter here. I have plenty of experience running in cold weather… 4 years in the Army in Fairbanks Alaska where it was not unusual to set off into the ice fog in -30 degree weather for a 3-5 mile run. We ran in sweats and balis as we called them (balaclavas) … the things that look like criminal hats really. There isn’t much wind in Fairbanks so you could keep your heat for a bit. As long we didn’t have to wait in formation too long we were OK. Where it was nasty was when we had a Battalion run or something like there were it took so long to get formed up that we were on the verge of frostbite before we ever started. The worst of it was trying to stay upright on the ice. In general the traction was OK, but near intersections where cars may be spinning their wheels when starting it would be slick. Sometimes one person would fall and take half the company out.

No comments: