My workouts

Saturday, September 02, 2006

I have a lot to learn about running

Boy do I have a lot to learn about running. It seems rather simple… just put ‘one foot in front of… the other…’ as the Christmas classic goes… but the reality is, it is a bit more complicated than that. I am a long way from considering myself a runner. I read running blogs and running articles and have no idea what some of the information is referring to. Part of the reason I am following the training schedule I am… is because it didn’t have any track related terms that I didn’t understand. Just running. That is all. For my first marathon, that is fine and dandy.

After my Skagway run I realized something… I like running because it is a bit of an escape. In that case… an escape from the crowded ship and annoying kids. Yes, I love them to death, but it does take a lot of energy to referee sometimes. Running gives me a chance to relieve stress and clear my mind. It does zap my energy for a short while, but I think in general my energy level is higher than when I wasn’t running. I am amazed everything is holding together and I haven’t had any injuries.

By the way… the training schedule I am following is from http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html Right now I am just on week 11 of the mileage build up. Not even to the marathon training schedule yet! =) I figure the long route might help me avoid injury… I want to make the 1st a good experience so who knows… maybe there will be a 2nd. I ran 24 miles last week. Funny… I am pretty worn out and that is less than a marathon! Do I really know what I am getting myself in to?

No comments: