My workouts

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

7 miles at Boston pace

Finally! I have finally completed a single run at a pace that, if for some miracle I could continue for 26.2 miles, would qualify me for the Boston marathon! =) Yeah… it is only 7 miles… BUT it is a start. Is it smart to be upping my speed with a little over a week left before my first marathon? No… probably not. But it just feels good. I will back off for now. I will take that little tidbit of good news and stick it in my back pocket and focus on my task at hand… the Eugene Marathon.

I still haven’t decided what pace to run. At first I was thinking 9:00 minute miles. Then 8:47. Then… 8:30. Now… I just don’t know. I am new at this… I am not really sure what pace I should run. I know I can run much faster now than last fall when I was running in races… I broke my 10K record on today’s training run! But a marathon is a different story, and I know from my 23 mile run how much hurt is in store for me during those last 6 miles. I think I will just wait to see how I feel. I don’t want to run so fast I damage myself and ruin my chance at my ultimate goal, but I also need to feel like I gave it my best. Why? I don’t know. Isn’t ‘because’ a good enough reason? My 3 year old gets to use that… why not me?

2 comments:

runliarun said...

I'm amazed that you can plan your pace. I will run my first in May, and I only hope I will be able to run, at whatever pace I manage.

Sub said...

Good luck at Eugene - that first marathon is always special!

Don't worry too much about pace and try to stay conservative. Even running 20s/mile faster than your marathon pace could mean an ugly last 10k. I was warned before my first but the temptation was too difficult to resist :)