My workouts

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Shaking off the cobwebs

Looking back on my first marathon training… there are definitely some things I would have done differently. For one, I will never run in hurricane like weather. I also think I should have done more cross training and weight training, specifically for my thighs. I think parts of my legs got too strong and others didn’t get enough work which might have led to some nagging injuries. I pretty much took the ‘just go out and run’ approach, and while it worked… I might have been a bit lucky. Next time though… lol… I think I will try to be a little more prepared. I’d like to try some speed work, which is something I couldn’t do much of this time because it felt like parts were falling off each time. I did like the feeling of speed though… and the wonderful sweet exhaustion afterward. I have never been a super sprinter… I am quick… and have quick reactions, but I ran cross country not track.

This morning was my first post 23-mile run workout. It was torturous getting out there. It was below freezing. When it was finally light enough that I could see, there were fields of frosty grass. Normally I would be running in the afternoon, but my schedule is a bit turned around right now. When I run in the AM I am right in the middle of the traffic rush to work. In my road running I have discovered the two most likely times to get run over are… 7-8 AM and 5 PM. I can sense drivers frustration with traffic when I run near 5. Sometimes traffic is backed up ½ from the nearest light… and I can sometimes hit the intersection before cars I pass. Craziness… and that craziness leads to drivers who are willing to mow you down just to get to their driveway a few minutes earlier. There was once when I was crossing an intersection and I had eye contact with a driver who was going to turn. They were not going to stop though… but hey… I had eye contact so they couldn’t possibly run me over when I had the walk (lol RUN) sign… but yep… I had to dodge their bumper as they gave me the cold stare from hell.

No comments: