My workouts

Friday, April 13, 2007

The magic mile

Today I decided to let loose for 1 mile on my six mile run and see how fast I could run. I have read that this one mile time trial can be a predictor of your marathon time. I really haven’t trained for speed at all during my training… instead focusing on endurance, as my goal is just to finish the darn thing… and hey… under 4 hours would be nice. So I started out my six miles at an OK pace… 7:30 per mile or there about… then at the 1 mile mark I took off. It became evident very quickly that it probably isn’t best to start a time trial on an up hill portion of a run… ah well. =) (I’m such a genius sometimes) I run very hard for 1 mile (no puking hard… because I still had 4 miles to run) My time for the mile? 6:50. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. I know I could have run faster, but even on a very good day and only running one mile… I doubt I could break 6:30. Argh. STILL though… for someone who hasn’t been focusing on speed at all… I guess I should be happy.

After the fast mile I slowed to a crawl while I tried to catch my breath and regroup. Then I got the itch to try to finish the whole run in faster than Boston pace for me… but alas… it wasn’t to be. The pace for 6 miles was 7:52 (not much faster than most of my runs last week) It really would have been a nice boost to know I could finish a simple 6 mile run at Boston pace… but it isn’t to be yet. I am not giving up though. The 6:50 mile projects to a 3:50 marathon, a little over the best I could expect, but probably about what I finish at. With a goal that now extends beyond just finishing one marathon, there is no need for me to injure myself in my first attempt.

I knew the last month before the marathon would fly by… but it is REALLY flying by. In just a few weeks it will be time for 26.2.

No comments: