My workouts

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Falling into Fall

Literally.

Which reminds me of the Mad TV ‘Literally skits’ like this one:

.

Yes… I finally fell. I have had a few weeble-wobble moments in my training before… but I don’t think I have ever fallen. That ended this morning.

I was running next to the chain link fence around the Hillsboro airport and my shoe caught one of the spikes on the bottom of the fence somehow. My left foot stopped… while the rest of me continued forward… well… and downward. I probably didn’t look graceful… but considering one of my feet caught and planted me into the pavement, I think I am out OK. Wrists will be sore… elbow and hip too… but the important parts… my knees, ankles and legs… are unscathed. At least I hope so. After a roll like that sometimes the next day is when you really known what is hurt… but for now I am grateful. It did cut my 8 mile run in half though. =(

It appears as though I may be doing my first long run from camp Beach House this upcoming weekend. Wow. How blessed am I? I will confess that I don’t feel like I deserve my life. Someone on high must really like my wife, or my kids have something special in store for them… or thousands of years ago someone in my line did something wonderful earning generations of blessings on down to me. I could want nothing more. Well, except for qualifying for Boston. ;)

It felt like old times last Sunday running loops around Hillsboro airport on a long run. It went relatively well. I am taking my easy and long runs really slow right now to hopefully avoid injury. I ramped up my miles pretty fast without a really good base. Should hit 40 this week. I also noticed that based on my 10K time my training runs (according to the online calculators) should be slower. I guess the key is being able to recover enough to do the speedwork to improve. There is a strange Catch-22 in there I think.

Right now I am just enjoying running again.

2 comments:

Sub said...

It's great to know that you will be running Newport. Hopefully, I will be back there this year. Maybe we can celebrate your BQ in your new beach house :)

Runtime said...

Absolutely sub! If you need a place to stay down there let me know too.