My workouts

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Return of the Mojo

Knock on wood… I think my running mojo is back. I finished a 30+ mile week, capped with a 12 miler yesterday along the Oregon Coast. We are thinking about buying a beach house… so I figured I best check out the running possibilities. =) The winter weather at the Oregon Coast is hardly ideal. It is rainy windy blustery weather… the kind that takes a very hardy soul to run in. But on a nice day… like yesterday… it is like running in heaven. From the beginning of November to Spring it can be gloomy though.

While my run was wonderful… the bonk afterwards wasn’t. I ran without fuel or sports drink (just 12 ounces of water) and didn’t eat soon enough after I was back. After about an hour I was off to bonk land… mad at everyone and everything, unable to think straight or even make a decision about what to eat. Too many more episodes like that and my wife isn’t going to let me run anymore.

I was supposed to run a 10k this past weekend but we went to the coast instead. It worked out better for me though because I really needed a long run… not a 10k. Yeah… it was slow… but I have increased my mileage pretty fast that I need to compromise on speed for now. My body is feeling pretty good except for my left ankle which was kicked during a soccer game a few months ago and never quite healed right. I really doesn’t bother me at all while running, but it does afterwards… and I fear my foot may be tracking slightly differently which will cause problems elsewhere later. Hopefully not.

My current goal is the Seattle marathon in November. I don’t plan to PR or anything… just want to get another marathon under my belt without injuries or hitting the wall. Hopefully the time will be somewhere between my Eugene and Portland times… but I am not going to get too caught up in that.

I’m just happy my mojo is back.

1 comment:

Sub said...

Glad to hear that your mojo is back! The cool weather sure helps - I'm feeling a similar kick. If you're here for the Seattle marathon and want to say hi do let me know. I'll probably be volunteering at the 'thon in someway (maybe pacing)...