My workouts

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why I blog

Why do I spend time writing a writing blog that virtually no one reads? Two reasons really. Firstly, I like to write so it is an outlet there. Secondly, I need an outlet for my thoughts on running. Face it… non runners generally do *not* like to hear about running. If they see you coming back from a run and ask you ‘how was it’ they don’t want to know anymore than someone who asks you how you are in the hallway at work.

Just say ‘good’ and leave it at that. If you do actually start to tell them, expect glassy eyes before you get to the part the raw skin in some unmentionable body place hurting because you forgot your body glide.

If you are lucky enough to have running friends… well then there is your outlet. Unfortunately, none of my friends run… and in fact… some have said they can’t run. ‘Really?’ Like if you started to trot your legs would fall off?

You ask a group of 5 year old kids and every single one of them will raise their hands and tell you they can run. They can run… they can draw… they can sing goofy songs at the top of their lungs… but adults seem to pretend they have lost these abilities. What I think is happening is their greater sense of vastness of the world has made aware that others may sing better… or draw better… or run better… and they feel those things are only left to the best of the best… so they give up something once so joyously natural and let it die until they when you ask them if they run… they simply say… ‘I can’t run.’

How sad is that? What in insult to the people who really *can’t* run. What they really mean is ‘I don’t want to start running.’ Which is fine. I’ve had a couple of people at work tell me they will only run if a bear is chasing them. I laugh. Of course a bear might already be chasing them… just not the kind they are thinking of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, I write my blog for myself and it motivates me to get out the door. Sometimes I feel like educating people or just to share something of interest (humor or story).

I have heard so many people say "I can't run" and I love how you put it because there are so many people out there who really can't run.

good post