My workouts

Friday, September 19, 2008

Feel the power, experience the pain

Most active sporting type people have tried at least one Powerbar. How could you not? It is the bar of POWER! Power of the bar… activate!!! Get me through this last 10 miles. Please. Pretty please?

Of course, before the power can touch your lips, you have to get the thing out of the wrapper… and this my friends… is where the Powerbar… becomes a powerful pain in the butt. Trying to open one is like trying to open a CD… and when… if… you manage to actually get it open… it will undoubtedly be stuck to the wrapper if the temperature is above 50 degrees.

Sometimes I run with a Powerbar in my water belt… bonk protection… but I view it more as emergency food ration in case I fall down a cliff, break my legs and can’t move. Then… maybe after a week of hunger… I’d try to get it out of the wrapper. Fifty fifty odds I die of starvation first though.

Can you imagine trying to open a Powerbar while say… running a marathon? You’d have to add a footnote to your time to explain the extra 15 minutes. Portland marathon 3:45* was on pace for 3:30 until I had to open Powerbar.

Odwalla bars, while obviously not as powerfull, are a nice alternative to Powerbars because you can actually remove the wrapper. They even look a little more like food compared to my peanut butter Powerbars that looks much like something that exited my babies behind.

My legs were pretty tired after yesterday’s lunchtime 6 miler. I must say it is quite nice to get all stressed and pissed off at work to burst out and run 6 miles at lunch. By the time I was back… I was too tired to upset at anything. The magical stress relief of running.

No comments: