My workouts

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I killed Santa

It was bound to happen someday, but yesterday I killed Santa Clause. For my oldest son… it was time... and he had been trying to find time to talk to us about Santa for a few days. His friends have told him at school there is no Santa and I am sure that if he spent any time pondering the logistics of Santa’s tasks, he would at the very least have some suspicions. Last year he asked about Santa and our reply was yes there is one… but not exactly how you think. We left it at that.

It is a very delicate thing to kill Santa… especially when we have two other little ones still to be caught up in the magic... and I was not really prepared for the conversation. Last year his nephew, unbeknownst to Kenny, was told by his teacher in school that there was no Santa. Can you believe it? In school? Anyway… when his parents finally confirmed the information he was upset that he may have grown to adulthood, had kids and NOT known that he was supposed fill Santa’s shoes so to speak. He was worried his kids wouldn’t get to experience the joy of Christmas morning. Talk about selfless… I have no doubt… he will make a VERY good Santa.

Kenny said that he felt ‘funny’ after we broke the news to him… and though I have long since forgot the feeling, perhaps it was the twinges of innocence dying. Burdened with his new knowledge… we quickly pointed out that he now carried a very important gauntlet. His task, should he choose to accept it… and we made very clear he had to accept it… was to go along with the gig and make sure the two younger ones did not have any of the magic spoiled.

I ran six miles this morning. Good thing I did it early… it is going to be hot and humid today… though we do get hot sometimes in the summer… rarely is it humid. During the week I have done a lot of run to work and home runs… 4.4 miles each way… but I need to push to longer runs. The marathon is not a short race.

No comments: